World Cup Polls!
An important part of the World Cup is picking teams you will cheer for and, even more fun, who you will cheer against. My own prejudices are revealed in the polls below. The system is complicated, but basically it goes as follows.
1. Spain because they’ve never won and they’re really good this year, and they’ve been really good in the past too. Plus I’ve been to Spain, loved Barcelona, and speak Spanish. So I’m cheering for them.
2. England is why I like soccer as much as I do, and it’d be nice to see them win again, especially as underdogs. They’ve only won once (’66) and they invented the stupid game.
3. Argentina has the best player in the world, Messi, and I like their flag/uniform colors. Plus, I really liked the movie Evita. And it’s always nice to have a good guy on this side of the Atlantic.
4. USA. Well, I mean, I live here so…
5. Mexico – “Mexico is the biggest loser at the tournament, having had 22 losses. They also have the worst goal differential, allowing 36 more than they have scored overall.”
So if it is Spain vs England or Argentina, I might have to simply sit that one out, can’t say I’d be sad if any of those three won it all, and they’ve got good odds.
Brazil is the special case, I really like them, they’re very talented and have a tendency to dominate the scene. So, I want to cheer for them because they’re great, but literally everyone else in the tournament is an underdog because of them. I would be sad to not see them play incredibly well, but I’d also be sad to see them win it.
I’m cheering against the following:
1. Italy plays dirty and I don’t like that. Sick of people pretending to fall down, and they completely earned that headbutt. Also, they are the reigning champions.
2. Germany – I don’t necessarily hate the German team or anything, it’s just that, behind Brazil and Italy, they are the most winningest team at the World Cup.
3. France – You can’t be for England and not against France. “I’m very positive on the French, my family way back was French, so I go with it, but they are kind of, well, fucking French at times.” Eddie Izzard
4. N. Korea – This is just for the lulz